050: Randy Pausch – The Art Of Being Grateful
In today’s episode I share with you a powerful lecture given by Randy Pausch at Carnegie-Mellon University in 2007. For those of you that don’t know, at the time Randy had recently been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and given 3 to 6 months of quality life left. The lecture series was called “Last Lecture”, with the premise that if the speaking professor had one lecture to give before dying this would be it. Instead of lecturing about what he would miss, Randy chose to focus and speak about really achieving your childhood dreams. His sincerity and gratitude for the achievements he had experienced is both amazing and humbling. In this week that we celebrate thanks, I sincerely hope you enjoy this episode of Six Figure Side Gig.
All of that and more on today’s episode of The Six Figure Side Gig.
Randy Pausch received his undergrad degree in Computer Science at Brown University in 1982. He went on to earn his PHD in Computer Science at Carnegie-Mellon University. After teaching at University of Virginia, he later joined the Carnegie-Mellon faculty in 1997. Randy authored/co-authored 5 books and contributed to more than 60 journal reviewed articles. The lecture shared here today became an internet viral phenomenon, resulting in a 10 minute version being shared on “Oprah” and also Randy authoring a book called The Last Lecture prior to his death.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How to be reminded of what to be grateful for by keeping a “grateful diary”
- Why it is important to show your gratitude
- How brick walls we may face are an opportunity to demonstrate our dedication by not giving up
- Why starting your day with thanks can make you see the good in your day and life
- How hard work, loyalty, finding the best in people and being prepared, foster opportunity and personal growth
Very special thanks to you for joining me today. I hope you and your family have a very Happy Thanksgiving. See you next time on the Six Figure Side Gig podcast!
- The Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams
- The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch, with Jeffrey Zaslow
- The Miracle Morning, by Hal Elrod
- Text the word sidegig to the number 22828 to get the free video: How to Build a Six Figure Side Business
- Subscribe to Six Figure Side Gig Podcast
- Visit the website at sixfiguresidegig.com
- Write a Review on iTunes